By Partners in Health Organization: Partners in Health
Closing date: 09 Nov 2018
Position Description Overview:
- Provide technical support to the clinical team in pharmaceutical management, capacity building, stock ordering management and clinical care.
- Participate in and contribute to team initiatives at a cross site level.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support ongoing development of APZU Pharmacy team by providing management and supervision to Pharmacy Technicians, Assistants, Attendants and other support staff throughout MoH/PIH Pharmacies, and other satellite Pharmacy sites.
- Ensure accurate medical consumption data is available from all end users, and supporting the medical team in making accurate medical forecasts to facilitate the international medical order process as per the routine schedule.
Provide standards and advice to APZU Medical team in Clinical Pharmacy, including the following:
- Treatment protocol development
- Clinical Formulary management
- Administration and prescribing guidance
- Dispensing protocols
Work collaboratively with the MoH Pharmacy Team, supporting internal weekly orders, monthly physical inventories, and the district wide Central Medical Stores’ order.
Work with Operations Team to provide technical advice and technical sign off on pharmaceutical procurement; including supplier assessments and selection, and participates in the local procurement committee when needed.
Work with PIH Warehouse Team to ensure medications are always appropriately stored with respect to cold chain, safe storage etc. and participates in clinical inventory when needed.
Implement minimum standards for pharmaceutical storage across all health facilities across Neno District and conducts quarterly supervision visits to each health centre.
Ensure compliance with international, local and PIH standards and collaborating with Pharmacy Staff to develop tools for safe storage, management and dispensing of controlled drugs e.g.:
- Rolling out the use of PIH/MoH Controlled Drugs registers at all facilities’ stocking controlled drugs.
- Developing dispensing standards for morphine suspension use within the Palliative Care setting.
Work with PIH Chronic Disease lead to ensure zero stock out days of chronic care medications across PIH Integrated Chronic Care (IC3) clinic,
Lead training and education sessions for Non-Communicable Disease staff on pharmaceutical aspects of care like inhaler technique training, and when applicable roll out the PIH Electronic Dispensing application.
Work with primary health care staff at Dambe Health Centre to enhance existing pharmacy services, rolling out supervised first dosing of antimalarial medications, tracking of drug consumption to the end user and implementing dispensing protocols.
Exercise good judgment and excellent routine communication with APZU clinical leadership, by highlighting concerning trends in consumption or pharmaceutical use; identifying budget or procedural concerns related to pharmaceuticals and consumables; and supporting the clinical and operations teams to implement and enforce best practices around clinical products.
Build and maintaining positive relationships with all members of staff, and contacts within and outside of the organization
Represent PIH/APZU at relevant meetings at the local, district and national level when assigned.
Collaborat with International Pharmacy Team on cross site projects as needed from time to time
Required Qualifications, Experience and Expertise:
- BSc. Degree in Pharmacy
- High ethical and professional standards to patients and employees
- If Malawian, active registration with the Pharmacy, Medicines and Poisons Board of Malawi by the time of the agreed to job start date. If non Malawian, active registration with a body of equal nature as the Pharmacy, Medicines and Poisons Board of Malawi by the time of the agreed to job start date.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in an extensive Pharmacy setup
- Deep knowledge on drugs, medical procedures and therapies
- Interest in social medicine and health inequalities required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- High level of initiative
- Ability to avoid all dual relationships with patients (any personal, financial, business, social or sexual relationship or other activity outside the context of the traditional doctor-patient relationship).
Partners In Health (PIH) is a non-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH has programs in Haiti, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Burundi, Kazakhstan, the Dominican Republic, and Boston.
PIH began working in Malawi in 2007, where today we support the Ministry of Health (MOH) to serve a catchment area of about 165,000 people through 11 health centres and two hospitals in partnership with our sister organizations. Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (APZU) is in Neno District and we seek to recruit suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the following positions:
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb