By Jhpiego Organization: Jhpiego
Closing date: 05 Nov 2018
The Senior Medical Advisor, VMMC, will be the lead expert on all clinical aspects of VMMC (voluntary medical male circumcision) service delivery for an upcoming United States’ government (USG) integrated HIV prevention project in Malawi. The project aims to prevent new HIV infections in priority populations through increased uptake of high quality VMMC services among males aged 15-29. The project aims to increase availability of and access to VMMC services, increase demand for VMMC among targeted age- groups, improve quality of VMMC services, and strengthen linkages between VMMC and other services. The project will operate over a five-year period.
The position will operate under the leadership of the Chief of Party and Jhpiego’s senior management team, and will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of all project activities. In collaboration with project team and partners, the position will support the design and implementation of service delivery strategies based on scientific evidence. S/he will provide expert guidance on appropriate technical and programmatic approaches for scale up of safe VMMC services and support the COP in day-to-day implementation of VMMC services. S/he will also recommend improvements in the safety and quality of VMMC services and engage in mentoring of clinical staff.
This position is contingent upon award from USG. Malawian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of appropriate project activities
- Ensure that all the district teams are in place, sites are set and always have required staffing, supplies and equipment, and that the sites have adequate demand to meet their daily targets.
- Establish and implement a system to ensure technical quality of project activities
- Develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, standards, job aids, and curricula, supervisory systems needed for implementation of the project to meet the needs of USG and the Government of Malawi
- Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to:
- Clinical VMMC service delivery
- Quality assurance and improvement
- Provide technical assistance for conducting site assessments and strengthening referral systems, in-service training, and supportive supervision
- Coordinate advocacy, demand generation, and policy support, across project sites as required
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for scale up of targeted VMMC services
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
- Work with health care providers, local authorities, community members and project team members to identify VMMC clinical and community-based service delivery issues that impede access to care and uptake of VMMC services
- Identify and implement appropriate facility- and community-based strategies to address VMMC service delivery gaps
- Work closely with the Chief of Party on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts
- Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results related to VMMC to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the Ministry of Health (MOH) and other US and international implementing partners, to ensure that all activities conform to the requirements and regulations
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for VMMC
- Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
- Maintain excellent relationships with in country USAID VMMC and prevention team and in-country VMMC stakeholders
- Provide technical leadership to the development the project work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with MOH, USG, and other stakeholders to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award.
- In absence of the Chief of Party, provides overall strategic management and technical direction for the project and contribute to the maintenance of systems that are compliant with the organization set systems.
- Medical degree preferred; nursing degree with clinical experience considered as an alternative. Master’s degree in health management, public health or related discipline also highly desired.
- Minimum 10 years experience with international health and HIV/AIDS programs, inclusive of at least 3 to 5 years experience in resource-challenged settings in a technical leadership role.
- Prior experience in implementing VMMC programming in ESA region preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in clinical quality assurance and improvement systems in a developing country context.
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery projects; clinical training; pre-service education; performance and quality improvement; monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in VMMC and other HIV prevention interventions necessary for strengthening VMMC service delivery at the regional, national, clinical and community-level
- Experience with management of teams of diverse backgrounds and expertize; including clinical and support staff
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Malawi healthcare system, particularly the public health system, experience living and working in Malawi preferred
- Familiarity with USG’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USG, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb