By International Organization for Migration Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 18 Oct 2018
Position Title : Programme Manager
Duty Station : Yangon, Myanmar
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 October 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
External female candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, Myanmar and in cooperation with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) and Regional Office (RO), Asia and Pacific, the successful candidate will be responsible for the design, implementation, oversight and coordination of the Labour Mobility and Human Development Programme in Myanmar, with a focus on the projects awarded to IOM by the Livelihood and Food Security Trust Fund (LIFT) multi-donor trust-fund.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop, prepare, oversee and monitor the projects in the field of Labour Mobility and Human Development in accordance with IOM standards and procedures as well as donor requirements/standards.
Provide guidance and support to and monitor the project implementation of international and national partners working with IOM under the LIFT-funded projects.
Provide technical support to the Government of Myanmar in the process of developing and implementing the country’s comprehensive migration policy and its mainstreaming migration into sectoral planning to increase the developmental impacts of migration.
Locate and analyse specific migration related data relevant to the programme.
Identify and rationalize new project opportunities consistent with approved programme activities. Renew country and/or regional activities and recommend programme improvements.
Keep abreast of policies and international trends, standards and best practices relating to migration governance and migration and development to further enhance the programme.
Ensure coordination with, and involvement of national and local stakeholders through a whole-of-society approach, to increase their ownership and sustainability. Identify potential and innovative entry points to expand strategic and technical collaboration with these stakeholders.
Oversee the selection and recruitment of project staff to meet the strength and profiles relevant to the implementation of activities; supervise and guide project staff to ensure compliance with IOM rules and regulations vis-à-vis project development and implementation.
Monitor the financial expenditures of projects to ensure consistent management and adequate budget consumption rate to meet implementation milestones and deadlines.
Prepare timely submissions of all project donor reports according to IOM and donor formats, as required. Prepare regular updates, programme summaries, press releases and other relevant materials.
Advise the Chief of Mission on the overall performance of relevant projects and programmes to ensure effectiveness, coherence, and integrity, and to establish strategic programmatic linkages.
Participate in the development and maintenance of databases and other information management/reporting systems.
Represent IOM at relevant seminars and meetings, as well as other events aimed at promoting IOM’s image and activities.
Undertake duty travel relating to project/programme assessment, liaison with counterparts, problem solving, and new project/programme development, as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Sciences, Business or Public Administration, Economics, International Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management, planning and implementation, research and policy formulation;
• Experience and proven skills in working on migration governance and migration and development;
• Experience in and extensive knowledge of project development and management;
• Experience in liaison with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Excellent drafting, communication, negotiation and public speaking skills; solid diplomatic skills;
• Effective resource management skills;
• Demonstrated ability to supervise, train and motivate staff in a multicultural team environment;
• Good level of computer literacy.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 18 October 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 05.10.2018 to 18.10.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/246 (P) – Programme Manager (P4) – Yangon, Myanmar (55679428) Released
Posting: Posting NC55679437 (55679437) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT