|Entity:||European Investment Bank|
|Deadline:||Tuesday 30th October 2018|
The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Operations Directorate (OPS) – Global Partners Department (GP), at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
(Senior) Blending/Technical Assistance Officer
This is a full time position at grade 5/6
The term of this contract will be until 31 December 2020. This is a temporary replacement assignment linked to the Cotonou Partnership, no extension or conversion of the contract is foreseen.
Panel interviews are anticipated for early December
To carry out blending operations through EU or third party investment grants and/or technical assistance resources in the regions covered by the GP Department (i.e. Africa, Caribbean, Pacific, Asia and Latin America), taking end to end responsibility for the preparation and processing of the application process, mobilisation and management of blending resources (such as EU grants and Green Climate Fund. To provide input to strategy development process for the use of EU blending facilities in the relevant regions covered by the Department and a substantial user of other blending opportunities in public, financial or corporate sectors operations (depending on the Division) in assigned countries, in line with GP objectives and guidelines.
You will report to the respective Head of Unit and cooperate closely with colleagues working in the relevant Divisions, in the GP Department and OPS in general as well as in other parts of the Bank particularly with Mandate Management and Advisory Services. The post requires the ability and willingness to travel across the GP regions.
- Screen blending resource proposals and identify opportunities that best meet the objectives and guidelines of the Bank’s External Mandates and/or of Cotonou in consultation with the relevant GP divisions;
- Draft application and approval documents related to the EU or international grant or blending facilities and EIB’s internal approvals, including but not limited to concept notes, action fiches, project proposals, internal notes and presentations
- Evaluate, at an early stage, the quality of potential blending opportunities and their chance of success, including as appropriate consultation with the Mandate Management (MM), Advisory Services and the Projects Directorates (PJ),
- Lead and coordinate the blending/technical assistance approval process in cooperation with the respective GP divisions and other Directorates, prepare reports and blending/technical assistance requests in cooperation with the appraisal team and be responsible for the approval process on selected operations,
- Structure an appropriate blending resource (Investment Grant or Technical Assistance (IG/TA) to complement the EIB’s lending structure, compile the grant applications and prepare the documents necessary to mobilise the third party grant funds in coordination with the respective loan officers
- Participate in the preparation of the agreements to be signed with the grant donors and follow up the procurement processes to be carried out under the respective IG/TA operations
- Conceive and deliver concept notes, action fiches, proposals, application forms, internal notes, and/or any other documents necessary for grant applications, approvals, contracts and management, in accordance with each Facility (or Fund) rules and procedures, including timelines.
Disbursement and monitoring:
- Carry out due diligence in line with third party grant fund providers and EIB requirements and ensure the effective implementation of the grant financed project activities through regular follow up and review of progress reports.
- Lead the blending/TA disbursement process and fulfilment of conditions in coordination with the operational team
- Monitor the assignments and tasks carried out by the selected Blending/TA third parties for selected operations and coordinate action plans and assignment approvals in coordination with the operational teams (GP), (TMR)
- Review regular monitoring and programme implementation reports provided by the blending/TA third party contractors
- Provide internal updates on the implementation of the TA and contribute towards the drafting of programme monitoring reports to be provided from time to time to the blending/TA funds providers
Optimisation of operating tools and working methods:
- Innovate and suggest improvements to existing tools, systems and products in response to changes in the operational framework
- Ensure correct input of data relating to own area of activity into the management information system in order to contribute to the continuous improvement of working methods and development of products
- Share his/her own information and experience in the sourcing and management of grant and technical assistance operations with other members of the team in order to enlarge the knowledge and competencies of the team
Value added, cost management and return on operations:
- Ensure the quality and overall value added of lending operations; make sure that the financial terms set by the Bank match the risk profile and the type of operation, in order to protect the Bank’s interest and ensure that operations are as cost efficient as possible in the given context and provide for the risk on an overall basis.
- University degree, ideally in Finance/Economics or a business related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in the banking, financial or development sector
- Proven experience in producing proposals, donors’ relations, EU or international grant or blending facilities, or conducting related activities
- Experience in working in developing countries or demonstrated interest in development would be a distinct advantage, including experience working with civil society organisations (CSO)s
- Knowledge of processes and procedures related to the administration, control and monitoring of lending operations
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English or French and a good command of the other*. Knowledge of Spanish would be an added advantage.
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
Deadline for applications: 30th October 2018
Read more here:: EIB