By British Red Cross Organization: British Red Cross
Country: Sierra Leone
Closing date: 28 Oct 2018
TITLE: Country Manager – Sierra Leone
LOCATION: Freetown, Sierra Leone
CONTRACT: Fixed-Term for two years; Accompanied (partner only)
SALARY: GBP GBP 34,263 plus in-country allowance
The British Red Cross (BRC) helps people in crisis, whoever and wherever they are. We are part of a global voluntary network, responding to conflicts, natural disasters and individual emergencies. We enable vulnerable people in the UK and abroad to prepare for and withstand emergencies in their own communities. Once the crisis is over, we help them in their recovery and rehabilitation.
As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, the world’s largest independent humanitarian network, the British Red Cross is bound by, and committed to its fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The British Red Cross (BRC) and the Sierra Leone Red Cross (SLRCS) have been working together since 1918, collaborating on a range of high impact work, from promoting social cohesion and livelihoods in the immediate aftermath of the war, to restoring vital WASH infrastructure and enabling behavioural change in health and hygiene practices. The SLRCS has been implementing a Community-based Health Programme (CBHP) since 1995 with the support from the British Red Cross (BRC), International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and Finish Red Cross (FRC) in more than 100 villages in 14 districts. Falling into the strategic direction for the West and Central Africa (WCA) region, BRC aims to contribute to the goal of increasing the resilience of vulnerable populations and reducing the impact of their vulnerabilities in situations of conflict, displacement and disasters.
The Sierra Leone Country Manager role will provide support the Sierra Leone Red Cross (SLRCS) through the implementation of their current change plans and to lead on the development and implementation of the review of the BRC strategy in Sierra Leone in line with the new International Directorate Strategy. The Country Manager will be the primary focal point for BRC’s programmes and partnerships in Sierra Leone and will ensure that BRC’s funds and resources are used to achieve maximum impact on the lives of vulnerable people. The Country Manager will coordinate with all internal BRC stakeholders, relevant counterparts from the Sierra Leone Red Cross, the IFRC at HQ and country levels, as well as with external actors to the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement (RCRCM) within the humanitarian sector. The Country Manager will also lead on Programme development and diversifying the fundraising base.
Key objectives within the overall purpose of the post include but are not limited to:
* Strategic oversight, change management and fundraising
* The development and delivery of BRC’s country strategy plan and programme outcomes as stipulated in our Regional Action Plan, in support of the Sierra Leone Red Cross (SLRCS) strategic priorities and change programme.
* Lead on annual review of relevant parts of the Regional Action Plan such as the Country Plan for Sierra Leone, as well as the Strategic Operating Framework setting BRC’s intentions and priorities
* Build partnerships with the SLRCS and their stakeholders in a coordinated manner to contribute to their strategic plans and change goals including defining and monitoring milestones and indicators
* Work with the Technical Advisors to ensure technical and advisory initiatives within Sierra Leone reflect thematic approaches, quality requirements and best practice.
* Develop operational alliances with other donor National Societies to ensure well-coordinated, coherent and efficient ways of working with the SLRCS.
* Ensure a good working relationship with the UK-based actors involved in Sierra Leone, including government representatives and leading on the in-country relationship with DFID (in collaboration with the DFID team)
* Lead, with the support of the Disaster Management Coordinator, BRC’s support for disaster and crisis response activities in Sierra Leone.
* Ensure effective approaches to recovery programming and promote a coherent Red Cross Movement approach to recovery in Sierra Leone when appropriate in the wake of a major disaster
* Lead on the development and day to day management of the country security plan and monitor country level security, ensuring that minimum security requirements are in place and updated in a timely manner.
Fluently spoken and written English
Skills in training and developing staff capacity
Budget development and management to high external standards of accountability
Excellent report writing skills and ability to present information for multiple audiences
Programme cycle management knowledge
At least 10 years’ experience working in the humanitarian or international development sector, including overseas experience
Proven successful management of various scales of change processes.
Experience working in partnership, building partnerships in developing countries
Experience of disaster management including response Programmes.
Security awareness and management for self and others
Building partnerships with major institutional donors and ideally developing funding proposals for donors including DFID, large foundations and corporates
Excellent understanding of the international humanitarian system
Strategic analysis, planning and delivery
To read the full job description please click here.
This is a fixed-term contract for 2 years and is an accompanied post – partner only.
In the British Red Cross, we will not tolerate any form of misconduct, including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse. We have a code of conduct in place, and are committed to creating a culture of integrity in the organisation where misconduct is not tolerated, situations of abuse are quickly investigated, and perpetrators are dealt with effectively
As part of its recruitment and selection process the British Red Cross undertakes criminal records checks on all individuals who regularly work with or have access to children and vulnerable adults.
We are a volunteer-led humanitarian organisation that helps people in crisis, whoever and wherever they are. We enable vulnerable people at home and overseas to prepare for and respond to emergencies in their own communities. And when the crisis is over, we help people recover and move on with their lives.
We are committed to welcoming people from the widest possible diversity of background, culture and experience.
The British Red Cross, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949) and Scotland (SC037738).
Connecting human kindness with human crisis
How to apply:
For further information about this role or if you are unable to apply online please contact Francesca Jones via email FrancescaJones@redcross.org.uk using reference REQ0000021SO.
Applications close on Sunday 28th October 2018.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb