By International Organization for Migration Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 17 Oct 2018
Position Title : Field Security Officer
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 17 October 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision and direction of the Chief of Mission (CoM), with technical and policy support from the Regional Security Officer, the successful candidate will develop, recommend and implement appropriate safety and security procedures related to the protection of IOM staff, its assets and program operations. Specifically, s/he will assist in establishing and maintaining an appropriate level of security awareness throughout the mission and its programmes. Using the IOM Security Risk Management methodology, the Field Security Officer (FSO) Somalia will provide appropriate and timely advice to the CoM so that informed decisions can be made to enable missions to proceed to the field in the safest manner available.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Establish and maintain effective exchanges with security officials of other international organizations, government and partner security services, the mission’s United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) and appropriate security focal points, to ensure that up to date security-related information, beneficial to the mission, is obtained.
Acquire comprehensive operational understanding of IOM programs in Somalia and provide advice, including Security Risk assessments in areas where IOM works or is planning to work with its teams. Provide relevant guidance on all safety/security management issues and mitigation measures and ensure that relevant and appropriate safety/security information, including but not limited to Staff Security Unit (SSU) and UNDSS security advisories, is disseminated to all mission staff members.
Participate and contribute to UNDSS security cell meetings. Develop a comprehensive working knowledge of the present IOM/UNDSS Memorandum of Understanding related to various security protocols stipulated in this agreement; that include the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS), Minimum Operating Residential Security Standards (MORSS), mission Security Risk Assessment (SRA). This will include full working knowledge of various UNDSS evacuation/emergency and security plans in place in the mission and ensure that IOM staff are familiar with these plans.
Conduct security assessments / evaluations, monitoring local security threats/trends (in close coordination with the SSU Operations Center at HQs), and further offer appropriate recommendations in conjunction with the design and implementation of IOM specific, mission evacuation /emergency security plans.
In close collaboration with the SSU Operations Centre at Headquarters (HQs), contribute to the development and implementation of programme specific safety/security-related strategies and relevant standard operating procedures (SOPs). Assess and provide recommendations concerning physical/structural security measures for all IOM facilities in the Mission, internal mission/programme emergency communications and establishment of a concrete course of action for their implementation.
In coordination with SSU Operations Centre at HQs, carry out mission-specific training activities, seminars and briefings, and coordinate staff participation. Ensure that security training is carried out professionally and conform to accepted IOM and UNDSS training standards.
Closely monitor and report on staff deployment numbers (slots) established for the mission by the DO (UN Designated Official) during emergencies, in coordination with the SMT (Security Management Team) and UNDSS, in efforts to ensure that security clearance procedures are applied fairly under the UNDSS Security Management System.
In coordination with CoM and SSU HQs, investigate security breaches/incidents in Somalia, working closely with applicable local authorities and security partners in efforts to ensure that IOM staff, assets and interests are protected, and corrective measures are implemented.
In coordination with the Chief of Mission (Somalia) and IOM’s Staff Security Unit, implement the Business Continuity Plan for Somalia Mission in accordance with the program’s safety/security work plan. Update the document, as required.
Develop a Rapid Risk/Threat Assessments (RRTA) during emergency operations, directly related to the immediate deployment of staff and assets; addressing all aspects of personal safety and security (nature of the natural/manmade disaster, armed conflict, health issues and environment hardship factors).
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Security Management, Social Sciences, Law, Disaster Management, International Studies, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Equivalent studies in the National Armed or Security forces of country of residence may be considered an equivalent diploma with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working in security management, military experience, law enforcement, Disaster
Risk Management preferably at an international level;
• Previous experience in UN Missions, International Peacekeeping or Emergency Missions;
• Experience in planning and execution of security agencies or organizations is highly desirable;
• Previous experience in dealing with law enforcement agencies an advantage;
• Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Somali or Swahili is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 October 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 04.10.2018 to 17.10.2018
Requisition: VN 2018/225 (P) – Field Security Officer (P3) – Mogadishu, Somalia (55678509) Released
Posting: Posting NC55678542 (55678542) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT