By CTG Organization: CTG
Closing date: 21 Oct 2018
Overview of CTG:
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction & Housing (MPWR&H) & the state level Ministries of Public Works & the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) Public Works Department. By developing more effective, efficient, inclusive & accountable institutions for public works & infrastructure.
- SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (AFDB) & implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Govt., African Development Fund & our client.
- The purpose of the SSIPWP project is to improve the capacities of MPWR&H, state level Ministries & BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage & oversee infrastructure construction projects & maintenance of public works.
- The Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction & Housing is responsible for managing, building & rehabilitating Federal Govt. buildings & the physical infrastructure of the country. The Ministry has always been the custodian authority of all infrastructures, buildings, bridges, highways & roads, land plots, land tenure, national infrastructure policy, urban planning & topographic & cartographic research in Somalia.
- The development objective of SSIPWP, as outlined in the Project Appraisal Report, is to enhance the capacities of Somali Public Works Authorities (MPWR&H, state level authorities responsible for Public Works & BRA) to enable them to independently plan, manage & oversee infrastructure construction projects & maintenance works & to create employment & entrepreneurship opportunities in public works. The former includes the ability of public works authorities to work with all relevant stakeholders & ensure the involvement of local communities & other marginalized groups (e.g. women & the youth).
- To achieve this development objective, it is critical that public works authorities adopt robust, effective & efficient public administration & management systems & processes. The Public Administration Specialist has a critical role in identifying & recommending appropriate organizational structure for the Ministry’s activities the MPWR&H’s daily activities, as well as to strengthen the administrative & institutional capacities & streamline management processes of the federal MPWR&H.
- Both the Project Appraisal Report & the technical annexes through hiring experts & staff that act as catalysts, facilitators & brokers of knowledge & systems recognize this need. Specifically, this position is directly related to the project sub component 2.1 “Capacity Development to equip MPWR&H to fulfil its mandate. The Public Administration Specialist, through training, establishing of internal policies, procedures, manuals, templates, in house expertise, will support in achieving the outcomes of the component.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager & close collaboration with the Project Director & the project management team, the Public Administration Specialist will assume the following tasks:
Develop & Modernize the MPWR&H Organizational Structure & Functions by:
- Develop & lead strategic planning workshop for the MPWR&H.
- In collaboration of the Directors/Head of Departments, develop a detailed annual work plan for all departments.
- Facilitate workshop for the executive team, managers & possible external partners to understand the goals & outcomes of the strategic plan.
- Write a clear, concise & easy to understand final strategic plan & associated annual plans.
- Define clear functional analysis & description for all departments & units in the new organizational structure.
- In collaboration with HR department, review & validate the actual job description for all posts in all departments.
- Assess the organizational needs & priorities relevant to administrative operations.
- Define & review key operational & management processes including finance & accounting systems, procurement, human resource management, IT & administration in relation to competencies needed & improvements of business flows.
- Coordination & follow up with all departments to guarantee the synergy of all administrative processes.
Develop Performance Management System:
- Propose & develop clearly defined performance management system for staff at MPWR&H, including performance evaluation forms & evaluation criteria.
- Assist & train staff in each department on setting their own performance objectives based on their new functional description.
- Describe & assess the formal rules within which the Ministry operate including legal framework, mandate, intellectual property rights & labour rights.
Develop Effective Financial Management Administration:
Assist finance & accounting unit in implementation of existing policy & legislation process & to create a proper & robust financial management administrative guidelines & procedures: including formulation & preparation of budget cycle, execution & expenditure management, internal controls, audit, financial statements, monitoring & reporting arrangements.
- Management system for the Ministry.
- Develop a capable & sustainable financial, accounting & procurement team & functions within the MPWR&H.
- Prepare a strategy to develop a sustainable, fiscally responsible, relevant, effective, efficient, compliant & competent financial management function & team within the MPWRH.
- Develop & implement a Capacity Development Plan that supports the strategy including training’s & other capacity development initiatives & the preparation of guidelines, manual, policies tools/templates/standard documentation in accordance with legislation & standards.
Lead Revenue Generation Tasks:
The Project Appraisal Report & Technical Annexure’s also includes provision for a study that proposes concrete measures to enhance revenue collection & billing systems for the MPWRH (Section 2.1.6 in the Project Appraisal Report & Section 3.3 in the *T*echnical Annexes).
The purpose of the study is to find additional revenues that will ensure the sustainability of the project with particular emphasis on resource generation through re-establishing tax, levy & fee collection for public works related registrations & oversight (e.g. quality control). The Public Administration Specialist will lead the following:
- Conduct a study to explore opportunities to generate additional revenue for the Ministry.
- Develop strategies to generate revenue from the Ministry’s housing, public building & land leases.
- Establish a clear management system to manage potential revenues for the Ministry.
- Establish an effective system & control mechanism for registration of construction companies.
- This role reports to the Project Manager.
- This role does not have team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in Africa (essential).
- MBA or Masters in Public Administration, Organizational Development, Human Resources or any related discipline.
- Minimum of 7 years of significant experience in public administration & progressive experience in administrative office applications, the preparation of organizational structures, strategic plan development & implementation.
- Traceable record of work on similar governmental projects in developing countries.
- Demonstrate ability to engage senior public officials on organizational development, policy advice & operational matters.
- Ability to mentor & build professional capacity of counterparts.
- Understanding sound management of financial and procurement systems.
- Good communication and coordination skills.
- Written & spoken proficiency in English & Somali is required.
Other Competencies Required:
- Reliably delivers on promises & honours commitments & being accountable for actions taken.
- Work collaboratively with team members sharing information openly & displaying cultural awareness.
- Inspire, motivate & empower local staff to excel in their responsibilities.
- Ability to influence & motivate participants.
- Ability to identify problems & device appropriate solutions.
- Ability to provide strategic advice to Ministerial level & collaboration with Senior Govt. Officials.
Other relevant information:
- To be advised.
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate and apply for this role using the below link:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb