By UNOPS Organization: UNOPS
Closing date: 21 Oct 2018
Background Information – Job-specific
The vision of the Stop TB Partnership is to realize the goal of elimination of tuberculosis (TB) as a public health problem and, ultimately, to obtain a world free of TB by ensuring that every TB patient has access to effective diagnosis, treatment and cure; stopping transmission of TB; reducing the inequitable social and economic toll of TB; and developing and implementing new preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic tools and strategies. The Stop Partnership is uniquely positioned to support the development and further implementation by partners of the current and future Global Plan, acting as a coordinator and catalyst for the range of partners engaged in the fight against TB.
The Stop TB Partnership’s TB REACH initiative provides grants to partners in lower-income and/or high TB burden countries to test innovative and well thought-out, yet unproven approaches and technologies which aim to:
- Increase the number of people with TB (TB infection or active TB [drug-sensitive or -resistant]) who are diagnosed, started on treatment and reported to National TB Programs (NTPs),
- Decrease the time it takes someone with TB to receive appropriate treatment, and
- Improve adherence and treatment success for people started on anti-TB treatment.
TB REACH combines open, but targeted calls for proposals, fast-track financing and rigorous, external monitoring and evaluation (M&E) to rapidly produce results. Other donor agencies and/or national governments can then scale-up the successful approaches piloted by recipients of TB REACH funding to maximize their own investments and to accelerate progress in the fight to end TB.
This Technical Officer position will provide operational management and technical support to organize and manage a multi-million-dollar grants platform, the TB REACH initiative, and provides technical assistance to a broad range of implementing partners / organizations, governments (National TB Programs) around strengthening TB prevention and care services in line with the Global Plan to End TB 2016-2020. The main role is to lead the operations and management, ensuring smooth functioning of the TB REACH initiative, consistent services delivery by the TB REACH grantees and close liaison with donor agencies to promote the strategic aims of the Stop TB Partnership’s technical initiatives.
- Manage the implementation of the TB REACH initiative, including launching call for proposals, constituting Program Steering Groups (PSGs) and Proposal Review Committees (PRCs), reviewing and selecting grant applications, entering into grant agreements, and other general management and support throughout implementation (particularly around tracking finances of the initiative) and external communications around these processes.
- Develop TB REACH’s Grant Management System (GMS) to manage grantee quarterly technical and financial reports, provide real-time online grant finance tracking reports, make grant payments.
- Grant payment approval processes mapping and establishment of SOP for TB REACH Secretariat, Stop TB Finance Team, and UNOPS Portfolio Management Team. Provision of training on operational matters to the above staff, and conduct regular monitoring of proper implementation of SOPs.
- Provide regularly monitor and business intelligence analyses of the TB REACH initiative relative to donor log frames and Stop TB KPIs to ensure the smooth operation and optimization of the initiative.
- Work with the Stop TB Finance team and UNOPS PMT to facilitate cash flow estimations and financial reporting to donors.
- Work within the ING team and across other teams (STBP Finance, Executive Office, UNOPS PMT) to develop budgets and estimate funding envelope for each round of TB REACH Call for Proposals.
- Work with TB REACH grantees in collaboration with the Strategic Initiatives & Innovative Financing Team and TB REACH grantees to promote the rapid roll-out of new, quality assured innovations in high burden countries in the TB space, including diagnostic/adjunct technologies and digital health solutions, etc.
- Coordinate and provide statistical guidance on a multi-country evaluation of artificial intelligent (AI) software packages to automate the reading of chest x-ray radiograph. Share results and publish the findings to help inform WHO Expert Review and Endorsement process.
- Prepare annual Donor Reports in accordance to reporting requirements of TB REACH donors (incl. Government of Canada, Gates, USAID)
- Ensure provision of TB diagnostics for TB REACH grantees, coordinating efforts between Global Drug Facility (GDF), vendors and grantees.
- Secure pre-market access of advanced diagnostic tools with suppliers for TB REACH Grantees.
- Participate in quarterly monitoring and evaluation (M&E) meetings and help to develop M&E framework further. Provide technical assistance to grant recipients to improve the quality of their activities and outputs.
- Organize technical symposia and events at regional and global conferences on lung health.
Master’s Degree or equivalent in health-related disciplines.A first-level university degree with at least 2 years work experience related to the nature of the position may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
At least 5 years of progressive relevant experience in public health, ideally with experience on tuberculosis or other infectious diseases.Experience in the usage of computers and MS Office 2013 and/or newer versions, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.
Strategic Perspective – Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization (for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above).
Integrity and Inclusion – Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others – Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering – Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation – Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility – Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solutions Focused – Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication – Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff, Temporary AppointmentContract level: P3 (ICS10)
Contract duration: 364, possibility to extend up to 2 years in total
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to apply:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT