By Middle East Children’s Institute Organization: Middle East Children’s Institute
Country: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Closing date: 22 Oct 2018
Arabic and English Fluency required
About Middle East Children’s Institute (MECI)
Middle East Children’s Institute (MECI) is a non-profit/NGO with affiliates in Switzerland, the USA, Austria, Jordan and Palestine and active programs in Jordan and the West Bank.
In 2005, venture philanthropist Lola Nashashibi Grace founded the Middle East Children’s Institute (MECI) to develop and implement programs for children in the Middle East who are victims of war, and to provide a network which facilitates partnerships with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) actively involved in the region. In the Middle East, traumatised by years of conflict, violence and poverty, MECI has proven that offering healing to children and empowerment to women opens the way to transformative education and hope for a better life for them, their families and communities.
Today MECI is an NGO which is recognized internationally for its innovative multifaceted, integrated programs addressing the most urgent needs of women and children. MECI provides holistic integrated child-centred community development education programs based on a grassroots approach and using local women as agents of change. For over ten years in the West Bank, MECI has directly engaged women and children within their programming efforts to sustain long-lasting community development that provides opportunities and hope for the new generation. MECI achieves this by addressing educational, psychosocial, health and other humanitarian needs to transform the lives of children and women, giving them opportunities to prosper. MECI has served tens of thousands of children and their families and is today implanting programs in 35 schools.
About the Role
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced entrepreneurial leader with proven track record in fundraising and operational management. This role is an opportunity to drive the growth and impact of MECI to a new level.
The Managing Director (MD) will report directly to the Founder and the Board of Directors. The MD will be responsible for driving the fundraising and communication strategy of MECI while overseeing operations in Palestine, Jordan and Switzerland and global administration. The MD must have experience in developing systems and running performance-driven processes.
Organisational Management & Communications
- Provide leadership and a positive organisational culture to encourage good performance and shared values that supports staff, MECI Ambassadors and volunteers to complete their responsibilities to their highest potential.
- Communicate impact of program with donors and MECI HQ via social media, website, newsletters and other channels.
- Communicate the MECI brand message internally and externally.
- Be a key spokesperson for MECI with the press, external partners and stakeholders.
- Responsible for financial oversight of entire organization.
- Implement standardized policies and procedures for the organization between MECI HQ Offices (Switzerland & USA) and MECI Program Offices (Jordan & Palestine).
- Develop the annual global budget and operations plan in consultation with the Founder and Board of Directors and Country Directors.
- Build local fundraising infrastructures and Advisory boards within MECI Program Offices to generate local funds that can cover running office costs.
- Ensure that local budgets and program activities are executed according to program goals, donor specifications, work plans, and proposals.
Fundraising and Donor relations
- Bring in new donors for MECI from a variety of funding streams: institutional, high net worth and/ or corporate donors.
- Strengthen current donor relationships.
- Oversee tender bids and identify and fundraise Trusts and Foundations.
- Develop a program evaluation framework and reporting system to assess the strengths of the program and management staff and to identify areas for improvement.
- Supervise Country and Program Directors. Review program design and implementation to ensure efficient use of resources and impactful results and high levels of compliance.
- Ensure that all implemented activities are relevant to the mission and vision of the organization.
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation to make sure that the impact of the program is properly measured and reported.
- Frequent travel to Switzerland (HQ), Jordan and the West Bank, to conduct field reviews, guidance, assess country-level needs and challenges.
- 5 years of experience in management and operations.
- Proven track record as a fundraiser and manager.
- Experience in budget development, business plans and financial reporting.
- Experience managing staff and volunteers.
- Understanding of the social, political and economic context of the Middle East, and a talent and demonstrated ability for communications with various stakeholders, project staff and beneficiaries.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is essential; proficiency in French or German is advantageous.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills.
- University degree in relevant fields, such as international development, education, finance, law, business administration, economics, or communications.
- Excellent computer skills in Excel and other Microsoft Office programs as well as communications and social media.
- Understanding of Salesforce and donations tools is advantageous.
- Experience with grant writing.
- Highly organized with proven time-management skills: set organisational priorities, develop a work schedule for the organisation and personnel, monitor progress towards goals and track details, data information and activities.
- Ability to motivate and positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Developing and managing people to deliver results.
- Teambuilding: ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Collaborative: with great working relationship to colleagues.
- Ability to work remotely as needed, individually and with diverse colleagues.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication and listening skills.
- Independent, determined and motivated.
- High energy levels and strong work ethic.
- Create an impact by working on one of the Arab World’s most pressing challenges.
- Work autonomously with unlimited growth potential within an established non-profit/NGO.
- Salary competitive with the local market rate and candidate’s skills and experience.
- Performance based compensation.
How to apply:
To apply for this role, kindly send through a Microsoft Word version of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you are suited to this role. Please mark it for the attention of Tim Wingrove, email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please subject your email with the following reference: MECI-MD.
Please note that the interview dates for this role will be confirmed with you should your application be successful.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI