By Mercy Corps Organization: Mercy Corps
Closing date: 03 Nov 2018
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The war in Yemen continues; more than 11 million people have been displaced from their homes and the number relying on humanitarian assistance continues to grow. With a large and complex portfolio of work across the country, Mercy Corps has established itself as an analytical, strategic and flexible responder, adapting continually to shifting front lines and operational realities to respond effectively and efficiently through multiple modalities with teams inside Syria and working cross-border from neighboring countries. Mercy Corps has a large and diverse portfolio of work and a substantial team that works in multiple languages across multiple locations, many of which are managed remotely.Mercy Corps has been meeting the needs of conflict-affected communities from Yemen since 2010, with a focus on interventions in humanitarian and recovery programming. With funding from a range of donors, Mercy Corps works together with vulnerable families and communities in Yemen focusing on the WASH, Protection, Emergency and Livelihood sectors to promote positive coping strategies and address basic needs.
General Position Summary
The HR/ADMIN Advisor is responsible for ensuring comprehensive Human Resources support for all assigned team members. The HR/ADMIN Advisor is to develop and implement a multi-national HR strategy that supports a team operating in four different countries. S/he ensures compliance with donor regulations, legal requirements and Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures The HR/ADMIN Advisor builds the capacity of all team members across the country team. S/he provides support and advises the Country Director on HR issues. The HR/ADMIN Advisor works closely with all team member including Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and Program Managers to bring efficiency in HR procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
- Support the Country Director to set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Support the Country Director to develop a countrywide HR strategy and ensure mission level HR structure is optimal.
- Support the Country Director in proposal and budget development process to ensure appropriate HR structure is in place at the level of the mission and also at project level.
- Follow through on developing and implementing consistent systems of new staff induction, and service requests between HR and other departments.
- Be responsible for creating personnel files for all hired staff and managing HR Data tracker – including recruitment documents, CVs, valid contracts, PAFs, timesheets, employee data sheets, disciplinary papers and performance evaluations.
- Ensure salaries and benefits adhere to the Mercy Corps Yemen salary scale and standing protocols.
- Ensure Mercy Corps Yemen personnel hiring practices strictly adhere to Yemen labor law as applicable. That includes payment of appropriate taxes, benefits etc.
- Ensure new hires are included within the in-country tracking system to ensure that leave days and salary payments are well tracked.
- Ensure new hires receive all relevant documents upon starting their positions. This includes signing of a position description, contract, policies and procedures especially the National Staff Handbook and the Security Manual.
- Ensure that all government-required authorizations and documentation are complete and up-to-date.
- Oversee timely and compliant payroll management and support the preparation of national staff monthly payroll in association with the Finance Department.
- Ensure that all government-required authorizations and documentation are complete and up-to-date.
- Be responsible for expatriate visa and work permits, as necessary.
- Ensure national staff has MC ID cards and MC emails.
- Develop capacity of Admin/HR team members.
- Support implementation of and adherence to new policies and systems, and ensure staff acceptance.
- Assist the program team and departments to understand their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with the Human Resources department include trainings, regular coordination meetings, problem solving and necessary planning activities to ensure effective and timely program implementation.
RECRUITMENT, SELECTION AND PLACEMENT
- In partnership with field leadership develop a comprehensive recruitment strategy resulting in MC ability to hire top local talent.
- Manage recruitment process of all national positions including advertising, short listing of CVs and interviews.
- Work with program managers to ensure all hiring requests are complete according to Recruiting Policies and Procedures of MC Yemen.
- Be responsible for ensuring that job files are created for all advertised position.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
- .Uphold Mercy Corps’ Zero tolerance policy to corruption.
- Work closely with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
- Ensure all internal control procedures are adhered to and that necessary measures are put in place to ensure high standards of accountability and compliance
- Ensure that all Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Yemen laws and Mercy Corps/donor policies
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: NA
Reports Directly To: Country Director
Works Directly with: Director of Programs, Director of Program Ops, Finance Director, Security Director, Country Director, Sector leads, i.e. Program Managers, HR Managers in Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq and HQ People Team colleagues, including Recruitment Advisor, Senior Global HR Officer and Director, Global HR.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant field, masters preferred
- 5 – 6 years of professional HR experience, including at least 5 years as a manager or business partner, preferably in the Humanitarian NGO sector.
- Experience managing or advising a multi-national HR function.
- Understanding and experience navigating multiple regulatory sources (labor laws, donor requirements, etc) and developing HR policies and procedures that ensure compliance with each.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in the Middle East and in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Knowledge of donor regulations including USAID, EC, DFID regulations is considered an advantage.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies.
Critical problem solving skills, and the ability to work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations. Maintaining strong cooperating relationships with other departments is crucial. A successful candidate will have the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity and demonstrate ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. S/he will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The successful candidate will have a desire to grow and learn in one of the most interesting and complex crisis of our times. S/he will face challenges with a smile and light heartedness. The successful candidate will be comfortable in asking colleagues for help as well as stepping out of her/his role to assist others. The Mercy Corps team is one that emphasis the value of joy and curiosity. The team enjoys a great sense of humor and appreciates sharing meals amongst colleagues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Sana’a, Yemen and requires up to 40% travel to other locations in the region. The role is unaccompanied, and housing is in group housing in an austere environment. The team member must follow all security protocols at all times. This position is eligible for R&R breaks and hardship.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb